Friday, April 19, 2013

Lack of Discretion

I look at Facebook pretty much every day...often several times a day.  I like to see what my friends are up to, see pictures, quotes, humor, art, and read about the events that surround their lives.

Unfortunately, there are those who feel like Facebook is their own personal editorial column regarding issues relating to politics, religion, and other matters I feel deserve a greater degree of discretion.

Yesterday, I came across the following quote - and although laced with humor, there is a layer of truth I can't ignore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is like a penis. It’s fine to have one, and it’s fine to be proud of it.  But please don’t whip it out in public and start waving it around....and please don’t try to shove it down my throat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Incidentally, I generally feel the same way about vegetarianism, politics, and other personal beliefs. Just because you have access to a public forum doesn't mean you should haphazardly use it as a vehicle to gain acceptance for your personal beliefs. Consider that it might be more empowering to keep your personal beliefs personal, rather than to blindly seek acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment