Friday, November 18, 2011

What's in a name?

I wanted to say a few words about the name of this blog, "Senseless Offerings".  I chose the name because first and foremost, it's an accurate description of the content.  It's also, however, the name of a song and an LP by an iconic 80's Washington, DC punk band named Black Market Baby.  That is where I stole it.

Please note that I am not calling it a "tribute" or dancing around it in any other way.  I stole the name...and one of my favorite contemporary artists, Banksy, tells me it's okay to do (see above).

That said - I wouldn't have considered using the name if I thought it might in some way be damaging to the band, it's reputation, or any of it's members.  I became a fan of Black Market Baby in the 80's...attended numerous shows of theirs at old 9:30 club back when it was a stinky old hole of a venue at 930 F Street.  I loved the DC punk scene back then, and although I was lucky enough to see lots of bands, Black Market Baby was on a short list of my favorites.  More information on the band and their recordings can be found here.






No comments:

Post a Comment